Co-ops have a long history of serving members in Western Canada.
For over eight decades, Heritage Co-op has proudly served our members and communities. In 1929, we started as Minnedosa Consumers Co-op with just 35 members. Today, Heritage Co-op serves over 21,000 members with close to 275 employees in five communities – Minnedosa, Brandon, Wawanesa, Erickson and Sandy Lake.
Giving back to our communities over the years has been a tradition we are proud of. In 2012, we continued our commitment by donating over $74,000 to various organizations, teams and events, and by paying out over $3 million to our members in patronage refunds.
Proud of our longstanding involvement in the communities we serve, Heritage Co-op invites you to visit our many locations. We want you to know “You’re at home here”.
In 1929, farmers in the area formed the Minnedosa Consumers Co-op Ltd with 35 members and assets of $1,800 in cash. Farm fuel was the first commodity, sold from a 330-gallon tank on a truck. The following year, sales expanded to include coal and twine.
By 1943, Minnedosa Co-op moved into a line of groceries, dry goods and appliances, and in 1952 a lumberyard was added. A service station was built in 1956 next to the store. The Minnedosa grocery store was replaced by a modern shopping center in 1965.
In 1982, the Brandon Co-op closed and Minnedosa Co-op bought their petroleum and agro divisions including the Wawanesa location. Our name changed to Heritage Co-op in 1983 with this expansion outside of the Minnedosa area.
Erickson Co-op amalgamated with Heritage Co-op in 1997, increasing our membership and adding a food store and gas bar to our locations.
The grocery shopping centre in Minnedosa, built in 1965, was replaced with the construction of a new food market concept store featuring the addition of a bakery, deli and coffee shop.
Heritage Co-op made a major expansion in 2003, opening a new food store in Brandon. This was a huge undertaking, to re-enter the Brandon market and replace the food facility lost by the Brandon Co-op in 1982. Alongside the Richmond Marketplace, a gas bar and touchless car wash were built. Our staff doubled when the Richmond locations opened, and our membership quickly grew with the success of these new businesses.
The Sandy Lake food and hardware store was purchased by Heritage Co-op in 2005, and the premises were upgraded in 2006. Renovations to the Erickson food store and gas bar were completed in 2005 to modernize the facilities.
In 2007, a brand new cardlock facility was built in Brandon at our 6th St location. One year later, another cardlock opened at Minnedosa. In addition to these new locations, Heritage Co-op expanded its business in Brandon, opening a state of the art 8-lane gas bar, convenience store and touchless car wash on 18th Street.
Heritage Co-op opened a new farm hardware sales floor in the relocation of the agro division across from the Minnedosa cardlock site. Two large mechanic bays were opened, replacing those at the service station that was upgraded to a modern gas bar with wand car wash bays.
Our cardlock at Highway 1 & 10 was replaced with a brand new 7-lane cardlock facility, built beside the new corporate bulk that opened in early 2013. In the spring, we purchased the Rona lumberyard in Erickson and converted it to our new Erickson Home Centre that opened its doors in late May.